Monday, January 14, 2008

The Veldt




Don't they look scary? Could you imagine being maulled by one of these? Well, the picture you just saw in your head is what you imagine when you read "The Veldt" by Ray Bradbury.





The story starts off being about a family living in a futuristic smart house. No body has to lift a finger. The mom doesn't cook or clean. The dad doesn't have to fix things when they break. The children do not have to brush their teeth, hair, or tie their own shoes. It gets even better. There is a nursey that changes its walls to what the occupant of the room is thinking. If you are thinking of a ship, you will see a ship on the wall. The picture looks 3D too, almost as if it was real.


Dosen't all of that sound great? Think very hard before you answer. Well, once you find out how the story ends you might change your answer to that question.




Well, the story gets in deeper and the children begin to act strangly. They spend all of their time in the nursery. But, what is even more strange is that the walls in the nursery have been an African Veldt for a long time. The lions are eating something too. But the parents didn't know what the lions were eating until it was much too late.





The parents were eaten by lions from the African Veldt.


For those of you who gasped or shivered, I did the same exact thing. I could not believe what I had just read. I have never heard of children killing their parents. I did hear once that some man's nepheiw killed him for his money. But,I have never heard of kids killing their parents. I just can't believe it.

1 comment:

Alex said...

I have to agree with you. Children killing their parents is just insane and crazy. However, 300 parents are killed by their children every year. I don't think that money justifies killing your parents.In fact I don't think anything justifies killing your parents. Also, I doubt they would kill them through lions.

-Alex H